Tuesday, July 1, 2008

RECLAMATION

Reclamation: The act or process of reclaiming. A restoration, as to productivity, usefulness, or morality.

Over the past weeks I have participated in many discussions regarding the unsavory shadow that is being cast over AA Christian fiction.

Every genre, to a degree has its questionable offerings however, this should not be for Christians. Sad is the commentary that sees books from publishing houses and independents being falsely marketed as Christian. A sadder state of affairs are 'Christian' submissions needing to be screened by event coordinators before acceptance for public offering. The saddest is works of standards being bypassed because their predecessors have so offended booksellers and the reading public.

Discussions have revealed mindsets believing that the questionable cloud preceding AA authors of standard are filled with: 1) Lack of knowledge of what true Christian fiction is; 2) Double-dipping marketing strategies and most harmful, 3) We who applaud works/authors masquerading as Christian rather than calling it what it really is.

Content of what you write comes with the option of choice. Marketing the work does too. My questions today are simple:

1. Why do some choose to erroneously market in the Christian genre?
2. Is it a ploy to increase sales?
3. Is it an orchestrated ploy to operate under the guise of propriety while attempting to serve two masters?

President John F. Kennedy had a vision for the nation he was elected to guide. Without hesitancy he made a very candid statement: “Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your county.” I ask those of us who have been blessed with the gift of writing for the Kingdom to consider looking inward and apply the aforementioned in a similar way. Ask not what popularity and abundant cash receipts can do for you -- ask what obedience to the gift entrusted to you can do for the Kingdom.

I leave you with these questions:

1. What is it you are willing to do to reclaim the Christian genre?
2. Are you willing to look beyond notoriety in order to be true to what it is that you write?
3. Will you honestly seek to understand what is and what is not Christian?
4. Are you willing to pull your friend’s/peer’s coattail to let them know, you love them, appreciate what they have extended to you, but you will no longer support their contribution(s) that taint the genre?
5. Are you willing to disciple those who are seeking to make a change?
6. If you are seeking transition, will you commit to being teachable?
7. Are you willing to pay the price for your stance for the Cross?



Until next time remember -- There is no such thing as an acceptable loss in God's Kingdom!

Linda!

4 comments:

Shelia said...

Good post. As a Christian who writes fiction, I'm trying to decide whether or not my Christian fiction should be written under a pen name since my other fiction is written under my name.

Shonell Bacon said...

To even say something is CHRISTIAN is to be subjective because there is no real RIGHT answer to what IS Christian fiction. Right now, I'm working on a book I hope to submit to a specific publisher, and because they follow CBA guidelines, it's EXTRAORDINARILY hard to write a book that, to me, feels authentic because there are so many things that are OFF LIMITS. Back in January, I finished a novel that is, in my opinion, either Christian or inspirational, but it's REAL. The Christians in the book aren't always perfect and pure because NO ONE is perfect and pure.

For me, before we can even begin to answer the questions you pose, which are excellent, we have to first decide, definitively, what is WANTED in Christian fiction. Without that, what it is will always be subjective, and people will be able to claim it as a label as they see fit.

Zaria Garrison said...

To shelia...I chose a pen name for my Christian fiction because I believe I have changed as a writer.

I have to agree with chick lit gurrl. What is true Christian fiction? I believe that what I write is Christian fiction and so does my publisher.

However, I don't think that my book meets CBA guidelines because it has a female minister in it. From my understanding, that is controversial and not within their standards.

As Christians of different denominations and beliefs we are going to see different things as acceptable and unacceptable.

I have not encountered a book being marketed as Christian that I felt should not have that label.

I have encountered books that were not marketed as Christian but people were referring to as Christian and I didn't agree.

An example is the Curtis Black series by Kimberla Lawson Roby. She doesn't market herself as Christian, but others have labeled her.

I don't think we need to be overly concerned with reclaiming the genre.

I hope that someone will pick up my title who isn't a Christian or isn't saved and maybe find God because of it.

I know that most who are lost don't read Christian fiction because they feel it's too preachy or too judgmental.

I believe God wants me to write to encourage and uplift, not to judge.

shejack said...

Great commentary Dr. Linda. My editor directed me and others who write from this imprint to this blog. This topic has come up before as we endeavor to be like our books say, The finest in Christian fiction. I think she wants us to be in touch with our Maker, our motives and our audience when writing.It's hard to police a genre, as seen before, anything that is prosperous wil be reproduced to the point of saturation. This brings about those who may write without the purest of intentions. I believe that God will seperate the wheat from the shaft.