Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Comapny We Keep

There is an adage that says ‘you are known by the company you keep’.

When I was growing up these words were a warning given by my mother and others concerned about the purity of my reputation. As I grew older the words became conflicting to me. I was friends with those who went to church, then broke a majority of the Commandments on a daily basis. I had friends who did not go to church that I was very close to. Being honest I will say that I preferred the company of the non-church attending friends.

Did the choice tarnish my reputation? I can’t really say if it did or did not at that time. What I can say is that I felt a kinship to them that did not develop with many of my Sunday friends.

As I have grown I have developed friendships and associations with those considered odd for a Christian woman. Many saints have voiced their concern when I have accepted the opportunity to attend and/or teach at non-Christian conferences.

I found it odd that they were so concerned. In fact, I must say that I was very comfortable with the attendees and learned much from the sessions I attended. I mentioned this to a friend and her response was so on point. She said, “The world is comfortable with who they are. It is many Christians struggling with who they want others to believe they are that puts others off.”

Her words brought this scripture to mind: “…and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth. Acts 1:8b

My question to you today is -- have you refrained from being the light in darkness simply because of what others might think of you? If so I encourage you to examine the gift entrusted to you. Why was it given and who is it to be given to? You have to be comfortable with who you have been called to be and trust that God knows what He is doing with your life. Going to Canaan is not the issue, becoming a Canaanite is. Each of us has been chosen and ordained to go forth to bring forth fruit that should remain. Prayerfully the company you keep will be the evidence of a good harvest.

Until next time remember -- There is no such thing as an acceptable loss in God's Kingdom!


Linda!

7 comments:

Cecelia Dowdy said...

In the past, I have attended and participated in both secular and Christian conferences. I've found joy and enlightenment in both, and while attending secular conferences, I've been able to introduce others to the genre of Christian fiction. Some are not aware of this type of novel, or, they may have misconceptions about what a Christian novel entails. I think Jesus would want us to attend secular (if you're comfortable doing so) conferences so that we can introduce others to a genre that glorifies Him.

Anonymous said...

My sister-in-law shared with me that she had to cut off ties completely with a few sisters 'in the church' because the Lord told her that if she wanted to be closer to Him, she had to turn them loose. They remind me of the Hell Raisers in Pat G'Orge Walker's Sister Betty series... hey, maybe I should invite Pat to my church so she can get some more characters!

Your friend made a statement that is all so true. We who are privileged to have a relationship with God should never feel that our reputation is in jeopardy when we are witnesses for the Lord. Jesus did not pass up an opportunity to minister to the lost, and neither should we.

Shani Greene-Dowdell, Author, Playwright said...

This is so true Linda. You never know on whom your light will shine, and isn't that better than "walking in the light with friends?" I know it seems easier to stick with what's familiar, but you limit your possibilties that way.

I enjoyed reading this post. After starting my morning off wrong, this put a positive spin on my day.

Thank you,
Shani G. Dowdell

Kerry E. Wagner said...

Now if that ain't the truth. I won't use it as an excuse to unleash some of my pet peeves about this particular group of interest. But you hit the nail on the head right there...for me. Shani Green Dowdell suggested I read this. I'm glad she thought to do so. Looking forward to seeing you at Wagfest.

Valerie said...

Linda what a great post! My favorite line:

Going to Canaan is not the issue, becoming a Canaanite is.

Well said! And I agree with you 100%.

Dwan Abrams said...

Great post, Linda! As Christians, it's our responsibility to spread the gospel. We can't do that if we only associate with saved people. That's like preaching to the choir. Although my immediate circle consists mostly of Christian fiction authors, I still associate with authors from other genres. It's all good!

Vicki said...

Point well taken:-) Bottom line for me is to just do as the Lord leads me. At the end of the day, we answer to no one except Him.

Not sure how I stumbled upon your blog but glad to find you:-) God bless you.