Friday, April 4, 2008

Striving For The Mountaintop

“Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.”
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. – April 3, 1968

Few of us will be in the position of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in terms of public dedication and service. We do however share with Dr. King a heavenly responsibility.

What we have been set on this earth to do is challenged on a daily basis. Choices consistently presented to us must not be rashly made for sake of convenience.

We say our life is our own. What I do is my business. Despite the convenient mantra used as a shield to cover our selfish acts, there is nothing we do that does not touch another in some way. When God looks at us He never sees an individual, He sees generations – your generations and mine.

On this day that we observe the fortieth anniversary of the death of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. we would be remiss if we did not take the time to reflect upon our own lives. What are we are doing to better ourselves, our families, our community and our country? Are we throwing away the gains of the past? Are we striving for that mountaintop experience?

1 comment:

Carla Y. Nix said...

Hi Linda,

Very nice. I am loving your blog. Thanks for sharing yourself. Very uplifting!

Carla